Spanish tortilla, tortilla española, tortilla de patatas, whatever you call it, it's a staple of Spanish cuisine and today Bravado Spice makes the creamiest, softest Spanish tortilla recipe you've ever had! It's somewhere between a stovetop frittata and a crustless quiche, but still very much its own thing. It only has a couple ingredients, so ideally you want to use the best quality ingredients you can. Though it's sometimes served as one of the many classic Spanish tapas, this easy to make vegetarian recipe is great for just about any meal or as a snack. Go Straight to the Recipe
One common question is: how thick should one slice the potatoes and onions? Obviously tastes will vary, but personally I feel like 1/4 in thick potato slices to be the best balance between cook time and sturdiness. Slice them any thinner and they can start to fall apart; any thicker and they may not cook through and you'll end up with undercooked potatoes in your tortilla. Regarding the onions, I like them sliced about 1/8 in thick. We chose to make this recipe with Bravado Spice's Jalapeño & Garlic Seasoning because the eggs need a little salt anyways and the garlic, onion, and jalapeño powder a great zesty kick to the dish.
- 1 med Yukon gold or white potato, sliced 1/4 in thick
- 12 Eggs
- 1 med Spanish onion, sliced very thin
- 1/3 c Olive oil
- 1 tsp Bravado Spice Jalapeño & Garlic Seasoning
- - Salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet (9” should be fine) over medium heat and add the sliced potatoes and a pinch of salt. Let them cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften.
- Now add the onions to the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are translucent. By now the potatoes should have a little color on them and be cooked through. Take this time to crack and beat all the eggs into a large bowl. Lower the heat to medium low.
- Add the Bravado Spice Jalapeño & Garlic seasoning and the beaten eggs into the skillet. Stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula in a figure 8 motion while gently moving the skillet back and forth over the heat. Every 30 sec. or so scrape sides of the pan towards the middle of the pan.
- After about 10-15 minutes, the eggs will have begun to set. Take a plate and put it face down over the pan and flip. Then slide the tortilla back into the pan and cook the other side. About 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Serve.